Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Let's Talk About Plot Twists

Plot twists are usually a good thing when you're reading a book or series.  They show that something exciting can happen and change the characters.  It gives growth and makes sure that you're still engaged in the book or series.  When done well, the reaction can range from "oh my God, yes, that's brilliant!" to "...what the hell but why I don't get it".  I've gone through both and everything in between when it comes to things that I read and watch.

That said, plot twists can go past the bad reaction I posted above into "what the fuck just happened?" and turn off your reader or viewer.  Such is the case here, with Marvel completely changing Captain America (spoilers for the comic, not the movie), and I think that this is one of the times where the plot twist is not being used correctly.  Is there a case for them doing this twist, going back as far as the interview suggests?  Probably.  There's also the case that this is an iconic character and you've just completely retconned him into something he isn't.  I wonder where the editor is on this, as I doubt this would fly unless you're a really big author like George RR Martin, but it did.

Maybe they did need something fresh.  Captain America has been who he is for a very long time.  They did twist that the serum broke down and he became old so Falcon became the new Captain.  That brought something new into it and they could have kept on going that way.  Explore the idea of mortality and how nothing lasts forever.  Plot twists, of course, can be taken anyway but this crossed the line into unforgivable.  I hope that the MCU, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, doesn't pick up on this idea and turns it into Captain America 4.

What do you think, dear readers?  What are some horrible plot twists?  Please be aware that there might be spoilers for current shows in the comments, as there was a big Game of Thrones twist on Sunday that is still being talked about (I vote good twist on that one), so tread carefully.

Until next time, have a good Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...