Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Writing When Traveling

On the road again... something something something on the road again.  Yeah, that's about as much as I know of that song.  Sad, but that's life.  Today's topic is about writing when traveling.  That can be in whatever mode of transportation that you wish to take.  I'm usually by bus, train, or plane, but that's due to the fact that I can't drive.  That goes back to the fact that I'm not legally allowed to drive due to being legally blind, but eh.  It works out extremely well because it means that I can drag out a piece of writing and work on it.

1. A laptop or other sort of computer device.  I use a Surface Pro 2 when traveling - it's named the Traveler - and it's easier to pull out on a bus than a big laptop.  Well, that also depends on the laptop.  I usually use a big 17 inch laptop, so the Surface is a lot easier to travel with and write on that way.  I recommend, if you use a tablet like device for your traveling writing some sort of keyboard attachment.  The Surface has a keyboard cover, which I love and use all the time, but there are also Bluetooth ones and so on.  If you're in the mood for getting a smaller laptop for writing on the mode via computer, I do recommend a tablet + keyboard combo.

2. Your phone.  Of course, not everyone owns a smartphone or a data package that will allow you to use Google Docs.  However, you can get around the data package, as everything has WiFi now (including the van I took to get to where I am now), so it's really more the phone you're using.  If you can make it look like you're on a phone call and talk quietly, I'd just call into your voicemail and write that way.  You will have to transcribe it later, but that's another way to write using a bit of tech.

3. The good old notebook and pen.  There are a ton of really nice notebooks you can get, from wherever you want to, and sometimes the cheapest pens are the best.  This is the low tech solution and it might not work if you're on a bumpy road.  However, this is possibly one of the best solutions for if you're on a train or a plane.  There's not going to be a ton of bumps, unless you hit turbulence, and even then, you might be able to write clearly enough to see where you were going.

So, those are the three ways I know of to write when traveling.  How do you write when traveling, good readers?  Do you have a secret you'd like to share?  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...