Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Writing Your Short Story

A very individual thing and one where you're really going to have to go with what is best for you.  I can do a short story in one sitting, especially if it's a drabble, and a cup of coffee at my side.  I can also stretch it over several days, if not months, and not because of writer's block.  It's just how I write sometimes, especially if it's a longer work, and that's life.

Now, there really isn't any good advice here aside to keep your butt in the chair and write.  If you're having problems, do a brain dump, where you write everything in your head about what's going wrong and see if it helps.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.  One of the things that does work for me is doing timed sprints.  I set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes and then try to write as much as I can.  Even if you write 100 words, it's better than not writing anything at all.

Another thing I like to do is take the word crawls from NaNoWriMo and work through it to get some words in.  One of my favorites is the Shots Shots Shots crawl which would work very well for a short story.  It's one of the quicker crawls but there are longer ones for when you want more of a challenge or have more time.

How do you write your short story?  Do you do it all in one go or do you stretch it out to make sure you're writing as best you can for the story?  Feel free to leave answers in the comments below and, until next time, keep on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...