Monday, September 3, 2018

Reading, Pitch Wars, and Everything In-Between

Since we've last chatted readers, a lot of things have happened. Nothing big and life changing, but little and somewhat life changing. Maybe less life changing and more of life helping? Either way, I've been up to things and thought I would pop in for an update. I am going to attempt, key word is attempt, to update this blog every week. It might just be little status messages like this, if you like those sort of things, or it might be writing advice or it might be about a book I decided to binge in the last week. Or even a TV show or a movie that I thought should be on everyone's radar. Yeah, it might not be all that interesting to read every week but I think a fuller blog is helpful.

First off, I've been reading a lot. I've upped my reading goal from 24 to 30 to now 50. I'm six books ahead of schedule to hit 50 by the end of the year and there's two readathons coming up. There's the Creating & Co RIP (read in peace) and then ebookathon that starts right after that. As for past readathons, I did the NEWTs readathon because I'm a geek and love all things Harry Potter. It's similar to the OWLs one I talked about in April, but you could only do the subjects you passed during the OWLs. So I had five subjects to read, with only finishing one up all three levels (Acceptable, Exceeds Expectations, and Outstanding), but I read 9 books in the month of August. That's a new personal best so I'm happy about it. As for books that you should stop reading this and just go get a copy of are Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman and Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The first one is a prequel to Practical Magic and I loved it. Devoured it in a few days and fell in love with the Aunts all over again. Not sure about Vincent, even all these weeks after I'm done with it, so go read it and tell me what you think. For the second, also a binge read of 3 days, and it was just so nice and refreshing a read. It was a mystery wrapped around this Real Housewives (season 1 NYC) vibe that I was just digging and couldn't put it down. I felt the emotions of so many of the characters on so many levels and that was a very nice connection.

My September reading plans are to just read what I feel like reading. At the moment, it's a lot of adult because I'm feeling burnt out on YA. I'm currently reading Daughters of the Night Sky, which is about the 588th Night Bomber Regiment that's entirely of women called the Night Witches, and I'm kind of liking it. I'm only 18% done and I want to give it a bit more to settle in before I DNF or put it aside for a while. I also want to finish My Lady Jane which is historical fantasy riff on Lady Jane Gray's life. It is so good but I put it aside for NEWTs. Going to pick it back up again to finish so I can read My Plain Jane (Jane Eyre retelling) for an October spooky read.

On the writing front, it's going slowly but steady. I'm querying Mystery of the Dark as often as I can, along with submitting it to Pitch Wars, so we'll see what happens. I'm having a lot of fun connecting with the greater writer community on Twitter and Facebook so that feels like the bigger win to me. On the non-querying front, I'm working on Lady of Arrows, which is a Robin Hood retelling, as well as Of the Sky, which might turn into a romance with fantasy elements instead of the other way around. Oops. It's a standalone, which is amazing because I never really write those, so this is a very nice change of pace from what I'm used to. Seriously - Mystery of the Dark is 6 or 7 books, Lady of Arrows is a duology, Hidden Scions is going to be a trilogy at least, and Watchers, if I ever get to it, is like 12 books. Easily. I think I'm going to try and have more standalones, if I'm able to. It's a lot more with just deciding it and letting the book figure out what it's going to be.

That's pretty much it. I'm always over on Twitter in case you want to interact with me and I hope everyone has a great week. Until next time, take care and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...