Friday, September 2, 2016

September WriYe Blog Circle: Procrastinate!

Well, no, not really, but that's the topic this month.  It's kind of a good one, because we're talking about what gets in our way when it comes to writing.  I have a lot, most of which I need to keep instead of get rid of, but that's because they're attached to real life.  Yes, we do procrastinate writing with housework.  It's why, when I'm stuck, sometimes the house looks cleaner than it has in weeks.  Taking care of your family could be considered procrastinating if said children or family really don't need taking care of because they're old enough to do so on their own.  And so on.

Let's get into the questions.

What is your biggest time waster?
Watching television or reading a book.  I know a lot of people are going to be "wait, don't you play WoW, which is the biggest time suck on the planet?" and yes, I am.  However, there are days when I don't play.  Like today and yesterday because Legion just hit and I'm waiting for bugs to clear.  But WoW is played more at the end of the day than during the day unless I can clearly get away with it.  Like I'm a bunch of words ahead and I won't feel panicky after spending a few hours on it.  I also like a good Youtube binge of planner videos.  So, yeah, television, Youtube, and reading.  I love having MSNBC on during the day and sometimes I get sucked into news loops.  With reading, if I'm reading a good book, I need to read it now and to hell with everything else.  So, those are my two.

How long do you let yourself procrastinate?
I try to make it no more than a hour but it seems to get away with me some days.  I can spend hours on Youtube just watching things before I'm like "oh crap, I need to get things done".  I know I can do better by setting an alarm or a timer but sometimes I forget.  I'm human.

Do you regret it or do you think it's worth it?
There are days where it is so worth it.  I feel like I'm hitting my head against a wall and a hour of procrastination helps.  I feel refreshed after it and I feel focused after taking a break.  Maybe it should more be called a break vs procrastination but there are times when it's two hours before I go back.  And, just like there are some days that I like it, there are other days where I do regret it.  Mostly when I'm not doing it to relax but to escape.  I shouldn't be escaping from my job as a writer and I think that's the line that we need to make sure we're not crossing.  If we're trying to escape from our job as a writer, then something is wrong and we need to figure out the problem.

Bonus: Try to forgo one of your time wasters this month and see how much higher your WC is! But not that school, work, or necessary stuff. We need you happy, healthy, and not in trouble for truancy.
Maybe I will try this with Youtube.  But, instead of going cold turkey, make it on the weekend (when I'm not really writing all that much anyways) or when I truly need it.  And respect the timer / alarm, damn it.  We'll give it a try.

So, that's the circle post for this month, readers!  Do you have answers for the questions?  Leave them below or link me to your blog post and I'll be happy to read them.  Until next time, keep on writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...