Monday, October 3, 2016

Plotting and Pantsing - Do Both

It is October 3rd. There are four weeks to NaNoWriMo, which is why we're talking about it again, and then we're going to let it go. Well, not completely let it go because there's a bunch more NaNo Prep posts to come, but we'll let it go in the ways of talking about it. I know I've done posts about it in the past, which is why this is going to be short and to the point. It's also the WriYe Blogging Circle topic for the month, so we'll be able to cross this off as well.



Basically, the question is if you're a planner or a pantser. I am the combo. I will plan the heck out of what I want my novel to be and then go on a side track if I think it'll lead somewhere interesting. You'd think I'm an outright planner, considering all the world building stuff we went through last month, but that's not the case all the time. You can have a kickass outline but, if you get stuck, you shouldn't stick to the outline alone. You can, and should, explore the what-ifs. For example, what if, while escaping an explosion, an ally turns on your main character and tries to kill him or her? It might be something not in your outline, but, by relaxing and allowing the pantsing into your planning, you can have something that might make your novel better.

So, yeah, moral of the story? Be both. Don't define yourself by one. Go and write the good novel and so on. If you haven't signed up for NaNoWriMo yet, you can do so here. You might think that you don't have time to do NaNoWriMo, which we will get into tomorrow, but, little secret, you just might. So, until tomorrow, keep on plotting, writing, and just being awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...