Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday Five: Some Links About NaNoWriMo

Happy Friday! We've made it through another week and now it's time for the weekend. Woohoo! Here's your links for the day, along with a freebie, as you know you need the NaNoWriMo link too.

1. 13 Ugly Truths About NaNoWriMo from David Swensen. Yes, they are true. However, it's going to be fine. You will be okay and come out the other end with 50,000 more words than you had before. However, you need to realize the truth about NaNo first.

2. Read Catherine Ryan Howard's post about how she's only going to say this once about NaNoWriMo snobbery. Yes, it's from a few years ago but I still love it. It helped a lot when there were some who were saying, to my face, that doing NaNoWriMo didn't make me a real writer. Yeah, I feel bad for them too because they had to be having a really shitty day to try to bring me down to their level of sad.

3. This is my favorite NaNoWriMo pep talk ever and it doesn't just apply to NaNoWriMo. Neil Gaiman talks about what happens to every other writer while writing a book. I get to the same part, more like half way than three-quarters of the way done, and my non-writer friends reply around the same way his agent done. With a lot less loving and a few more cuss words.

4. Lifehacker helps with getting a writing schedule started, not just for NaNoWriMo, but for after NaNo is over too. It's a lot of good advice, but, remember, sometimes the best thing to do is sit your butt down and do stream of conscious write.

5. NaNoWriMo Dos and Don'ts that is a lot of great advice. The best ever advice is this: "Do consider this a zero draft" because it is. You are writing to write, not writing for the novel to be completely polished and edited. That comes after, in December or January, and not while writing.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and that you keep on writing or plotting or both!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...