Friday, June 10, 2016

Welcome Weekend: The Friday Five

Say hi to Welcome Weekend everyone.  I am going to attempt, every Friday, list five things that I found interesting during the week.  They will be anything from articles on writing to news stories to funny Youtube videos to pictures of my dog.  Okay, maybe not the last one, but she is an adorable Cavachon.

Alright, here we go.

1. The 9 Best Tips on Writing from Ernest Hemingway from Inc.com.  He did live what he preached.  If you need more evidence, you should find and read "Hills Like White Elephants".  If you're me, you'll then go and devour For Whom the Bell Tolls and then the Sun Also Rises.

2. If you remember from Wednesday, I wrote a post on fictional women presidents in television series.  I submit, for your reading pleasure, this article from Bustle about seven books with / about a woman president.  There is a good amount of non fiction on the list, but a bit of non fiction never hurt anyone.  Unless said book was used as a weapon because someone broke into your house.

3. If you haven't already, please go read Vice President Joe Biden's open letter to the Sanford Survivor.  It will make you tear up, it will make you think, and we should rethink the culture of how we treat rape victims.  It is not right to accuse a victim for bringing on their attackers - full stop.

4. One of my favorite blogs, I Love Coffee, celebrated their four year anniversary this week along with the author's birthday.  One of my favorite posts explains the third wave of coffee and how we've gone from consume to enjoy to appreciate.  She's got fantastic other posts, including one about the correlation of drinking coffee to going poop, and explains a lot about coffee that I didn't understand before.

5. What I'm Reading This Weekend: The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly.  It is the fourth book in the Harry Bosch series.  I cannot recommend this series or his writing enough.  I love how his writing feels so casual but you're drawn in because of the strength of the characters.  There is a show tie in, called Bosch, on Amazon.  Titus Welliver (Agents of SHIELD, Lost) plays Detective Bosch and his take on the detective makes you want to read the source material.  There's only two seasons of it and it is easy to binge watch.

I hope you all have a great weekend!  Do you have a book or project you'll be trying to get done this weekend?  Leave a comment below and we'll cheer you on!

Until next time, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...