Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Art Influencing Life

Unless you went to bed super early and didn't listen or read to any news at all today, you probably didn't miss the fact that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won the majority of pledged delegates (Huffington Post) in the Democratic primary.  This is historic and I watched her victory speech with tears in my eyes.  I didn't think this would happen in my lifetime, even after the 2008 primaries and a lot of talk in this primary cycle on how she was going to win.  It didn't seem possible as the country has to have fatigue from being historic eight years ago.  I like being proven wrong.

I would like to make a side note - I think Senator Sanders should be the one to decide when he leaves the race.  I also think he has one week before it starts to look like he's a sore loser for not getting out.  Those two statements contradict each other, I know, but it's how I feel.  It's how I felt eight years ago when I was a supporter of then Senator Obama.  I thought that then Senator Clinton should get out, even though she won a lot on that last night, but that's how I felt.  I'm also not about to say which way someone should vote or feel or anything else that is outside the sphere of myself.  Just go vote.  Vote down ticket.  Vote for the top of the ticket.  But just go vote for the love of <insert your deity here>.

Now, to get back to the title of this post, life is imitating art again.  It did it eight years ago - I think that President Obama doesn't get elected if not for 24 with David Palmer played by Dennis Haysbert and Jimmy Smitts playing an Obama inspired character on The West Wing - and I think it's doing it again.  The Nerve has a brilliant article about the history of fictional women presidents.  I can't point towards one actor or one portrayal but I do agree with the article on who they pick for the one big shining example of who did it best.

Spoiler: It was 24 again.  For a show where the focus is on one guy saving the world in 24 hours with no bathroom breaks, it was a progressive show.  Quietly progressive too.  I would add on Geena Davis for Commander in Chief but that's because I was a fan of the show.  I also thought they did an interesting twist with the character making her an independent but needed to leave off a lot of the family plots sometimes.  Readers, if you've got a favorite female president (or even a vice president), feel free to leave your choice in the comments below.

The point being, if we can so easily turn to the idea of a woman president in fiction, why not in real life?  Let's let art influence life for a while, even though we might not agree with the person up for the real life world.  Let's catch up to other countries who had a woman at the helm.  Let's step forward, not just in art, where more and more women are shown in leadership roles, but in life as well.  I hope Secretary Clinton goes all the way and, like a great things in life, fiction will become reality.

Until next time, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...