Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My Writing Day

You know those memes where it's what people think you do vs what you actually do?  That's how my writing day feels like.

This is what people think you do:
7 am - wake up / shower / breakfast
8 am - morning pages / start writing
noon - lunch
1 pm - editing / more writing
5 pm - day is done, go be with family / make dinner / whatever.

This is what actually happens:
Anywhere between 7 am and 11 am - wake up / shower / breakfast / share the blog post for the day
A hour after wake up - stare blankly / try to write / read what was written the day before and edit
Sometime around 2 or 3 pm - lunch
Between 4 pm and 6 pm - clean the kitchen and make dinner
6 pm to 9 pm - family time / extremely rare writing time
9 pm to bedtime - dishes / World of Warcraft / writing

Now, you might be thinking "oh, on the days she's up at 7, she gets more done".  Actually, nope.  I usually get around the same amount I get done on the days I get up around 11.  Life gets in the way of writing, as does ones life routine, but I've attempted having a sleep schedule.  I've attempted writing in the morning.  I've attempted a lot of things that one thinks I should be doing and, in the end, I end up more frustrated than when I began.

My writing schedule works for me because it is what I have tried and what works time and time again.  There are nights when I don't get on Warcraft and I write instead.  There are days where all I do is edit and then decided to get on Warcraft because I feel I've done enough for the day.  The day to day details change, but that schedule remains the same.  As I've said before and as I continue to say ad nauseam, what works for you is going to work for you and that's what matters.  It doesn't matter what people think you should be doing.  It matters that you do what works for you and how you write.  If that means waking up at 7 am and following a strict schedule, then that's great.  If that means following more of what I do, then that's great.  Just don't let anybody set your life or your writing for you.

Until next time, keep on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...