Monday, July 25, 2016

World of Warcraft: The Issue of the New Zoom

Hey everyone.  We're going off topic of the usual things of this blog to talk about something that I love doing in my downtime.  I play World of Warcraft (WoW), with the majority of my characters as alliance, and I've been doing so since the middle of the Cataclysm expansion.  For those who don't know, WoW is a MMO, a massively multiplayer online game, so you play with others but there are things you can go do on your own.  You can also fight against other players, what is called Player vs Player or PvP, and there's a ton you can do.  If you love fantasy games, I highly recommend looking into it and you can play for free for the first 20 levels.

That said, we now are going into the Legion expansion.  The Legion expansion brings back the demons of the Warcraft world and the story behind it looks amazing.  No time traveling this time but it looks like we're going to lose some beloved characters and the player characters are going to step up.  I cannot wait for it, but there are some things that they could keep the way they've been since the base game was released.  That is the camera settings and how the new zoom works.  I should point out, before I go into this, that I am happy with the new camera settings at the moment.  It makes me feel like I'm living out my real life in a video game as my field vision only gives me around 10% of seeing around me which is not a good thing for the rest of the population.

See, not a lot, if any people, get how to use their camera that way.  I do, because I have to scan in real life, so I scan in game.  You use your mouse, move the camera around, and you can see what you were looking for.  While this is easy for me and probably for others, it's not that great that the majority of players have to now learn to do this.  A lot of people played the game zoomed out so they could see a great deal of the world around them.  Blizzard, the company behind WoW, decided this didn't do for their vision of how they should play their game.

As you can expect, that's not going over well to the majority of the player base.  Hell, it didn't even go over well with me, who is having no problems with the new camera / zoom.  Save for going "hey, this is just like real life" which should not be happening in a fantasy game!  I should not be feeling like my disability is transferring over to a game I love.  I get enough of that by not seeing which way I have to go in a dungeon, not seeing what I have to find on the ground, and a bunch of other things that are too long to list.  They did not have to add this to the list.

It's not enough to get me to stop playing.  It's not enough to get me to stop being excited about the Legion coming.  It does make me mad and wonders what is going on behind the scenes at Blizzard.  It makes me wonder if they realize just what they did and when it'll be changed back.  This isn't the biggest screw up they've made right now but it is the one that I can explain the easiest.  I wish they'd talk to people and explain better why they did it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

If you'd like more information on the camera and how it's effecting players, I recommend this thread.  The forums only allow for 25 pages, so it might be capped by the time you read this.  If it is, I will update the link to thread #4.

Until next time, keep on writing!  If you play WoW, you can find me at crescentgaia1540 - feel free to give me a whisper.

Edit: The thread I linked to above has been capped.  Here is thread #5 on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...