Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Plagiarism

If you're watching the news or keeping up with social media in some way, you might have noticed that, on Monday night, Melania Trump gave a speech at the RNC.  In that speech, she plagiarized First Lady Michelle Obama's 2008 DNC speech (Huffington Post for article, Jarrett Hill on twitter) for about two paragraphs.  I don't have to tell you that plagiarism is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.  That's common sense.  It is common sense that, as a writer, you do not use other writer's works.  There have been people in the news, like Chris Matthews, saying that the writer should fall on his sword and out themself.  I only agree half way with Matthews.  I do agree that the writer should out themself but I don't think they should fall on their sword.  It might not be their fault - it might be Mrs. Trump's fault, as she says that she wrote a majority / all of the speech herself (Today Show interview) - and she could have steamrolled over anyone who said that she couldn't do what she wanted to do.

However, I disagree and do not believe those in the Republican Party or the Trump campaign that is saying this is just a misunderstanding.  That it just happened because both women believe in the same things.  If that's the case, and it might be, there are ways to reword what you want to say so it's not 100% the First Lady's words.  Also, as someone who has been accused of plagiarism in a writing class at a community college due to my work being remotely similar to a famous fantasy author, none of what the campaign or the Republican party responses make sense.  When it happened to me, I fell over myself apologizing to the teacher and asking what I could do to make it right.  Due to my response and the teacher deciding to believe me, all I did was have a zero for the assignment - a creative writing assignment - which could be dropped as my lowest grade for the semester.  If I had reacted like the Trump campaign and the RNC is, then I bet my punishment would have been a lot worse than a zero.

They need to own up to their mistake, just like any other writer would do, and they need to not pass the buck.  It's what any good writer worth their salt would do.  If that means that the blame is with Mrs. Trump, then she needs to come out and say that she made a mistake.  Depending on how she does this, then it might become a non story sooner than later.  If it is due to a speechwriter, then that speechwriter needs to step forward.  That's to make it a non story.  I'll update this post as we get more information, but, dear readers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Until next time, keep on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...