Saturday, April 8, 2017

Blogging A to Z: Grammar and I Suck At It



Yes, I am a writer and I suck at proper grammar. If you look at this blog, along with my twitter feed (@CrescentLizzy), then you'd understand this. Probably a lot better than I do but I break a lot of rules. Hell, I think I probably break all of the rules without even knowing what they are. I dunno why I'm proud of this fact, as I am taking steps to be better at grammar (oh stop laughing), but I am. I think it comes from the fact that my feedback comes through like this: 

"I love the characters and the plot but your sentence structure is atrocious." - a true friend.

I'm not going to say which friend said that, but it has been said. I'm okay with that. You can fix your grammar and relearn the rules to polish your novel. It's a lot harder to learn how to make characters likable (I got that lesson a while ago) and make sure that you describe what the hell is going on (still learning this one). Sentence structure and word choice, while something that you should focus on, is kind of low on my priority list when I'm writing. When I'm editing? It's high up on the list of making sure that it's all nicely polished. When I need to get words on the page? Someone call the grammar police and give me a ticket like you would for speeding.

I feel like this is where I'm supposed to give you some pearls of wisdom about how to edit your grammar but I don't have them. I'm learning as I go and cursing myself when I find things while editing that make no sense as a sentence. One of these days, I'll be a perfect writer who can be a grammar wiz. Until then, I'm going to keep on bumping like a ball in a pinball machine while getting the story down. I recommend you do the same - get the story on the page - and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...