Monday, November 14, 2016

NaNoWriMo Week 2 Recap

Remember how I said last week, in the week one recap, that it's best if you have a cushion of words? I proved that to myself this week until I hit Saturday and wrote all of the words. Okay, maybe not all of the words, but I got to 30K in my total words. I'll explain that in a second, but this is how week two normally goes for me. I feel crappy and then, all of a sudden, I get a burst of inspiration and I write like I have never written before. Are all the words good? Nope. Maybe they're better this year, but they're not excellent yet. Remember - we're not going for excellent here. We're going for words on the page.

Also, if you're wondering where you should be right now, it's 23,333. On Tuesday, you're supposed to have 25,000 because it's the 15th and that's the halfway point. If that seems like a lot and you are behind, then I highly recommend going to write-ins. I recommend visiting the Word Wars, Prompts, and Sprints forum and seeing if you can find something that helps you there. My other recommendation is that you do not throw out any words. Say your novel is going badly and you want to start over. That's fine but don't just delete what you've already written. Start a dump file, dump the words that you don't want anymore in your novel, and then start fresh. It's a bit of a rebel thing but it might help you mentally.

As always, back up your work - Google Docs, email, OneDrive - just back up your work so you don't lose it. Keep on writing, even if you're only managing a small bit at a time, as it's more than what you had the day before. Maybe even the week before or the month before or the year before. But one word in front of the other guys. We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...