Thursday, December 8, 2016

My Favorite Christmas Things

I have a lot of them, some of which I posted before when I talked about the decorations, but I thought I'd dive more into them today. Christmas trees and lights, as long as I don't have to put them up or take them down, but they give a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Especially when there's a bit of snow or the feeling of snow in the air. I don't mind a light dusting before Christmas or on Christmas Eve but I am against an outright blizzard. Blizzards are for January and February, at least in Chicagoland, as that's when we usually get them.

Another thing I love about this time of year is getting together with family to celebrate. Either with family traditions that happen every year or things that come up new and then get folded in. It's about getting together over good food and warm drinks - literal or figurative (woo spiked eggnog) - and catching up on what's happened throughout the year. Talking about favorite movies and what we've seen or not seen throughout the year. How jobs are going and who decided to take retirement. What's really happening in their lives. Sure, we could get together during the year but there's something about Christmas that makes it easier than trying to do it during the summer. It might have something to do with the weather being cold and forcing us into our homes but it's nicer to think of it as family tradition.

The last thing that I'm going to mention of my favorite things, as I could continue for longer, is presents. Not just the getting of presents but the giving them as well. Squirreling away ideas all year, sometimes as gag gifts and sometimes that special something that they'd forgot they wanted, is just a lot of fun. After I was told the truth about Santa, a part of me figured that, sure, he was myth but still lived in a lot of us. We see it every time we brighten someone's face with a gift that they don't just like but love. We see it when they're surprised that one of the bigger boxes under the tree is for them. I know it sounds sappy but I like to think that way, especially now.

Until next time, happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website

This blog will no longer be update. You can now find me at  my website  where I will be now doing updates. Thank you for following this...